Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Talk and Tapas

I attended a "Design It, Make It, Fund It" session at Craft Vic last night to learn about the process of submitting an exhibition proposal. While I feel that I am nowhere near ready to start on an exhibition proposal any time soon, I felt completely energised by the thought of it.

There are so many things to think about, aside from the obvious - the content. In this instance they are looking for fairly innovative or experimental work. Once you have direction you need to think about the look and feel of the exhibition, promotion, display materials (how do we avoid a plinth city), how should people move through the work, is there a narrative that we want the audience to understand.

Then the most scary topic... Funding, how on earth does one pay for an exhibition, how do you get a grant or sponsorship? How much does an exhibition even cost? I attended with 3 friends I met through my studies, hopefully when we are ready to travel down this path we will do it together.

Plenty of food for thought for me. And speaking of food we finished off the night with a glass of wine and some tapas at Bar Lourinha - yum yum. With my head full of grand ideas and my belly full of coffee sleep didn't come easy. When I am ready to start on the journey I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment