This week I am working on a bird pendant to match my bird earrings and white bird ring. I had already cut out the bird a few weeks ago, this weekend I wanted to add the bail and finish it off and then complete another piece that I have in the pipeline.
I have decided to hang the bird from a short length of chain to give it a little movement. I have started by creating a bed for the chain to be attached.
I have coated the piece in flambe (a mixture or borax, boric acid and metho) to protect from fire scale. The flambe is activated by burning away the metho.
I use two coats of flambe front and back, then I apply flux to the area that will be soldered.
Next I attached the chain by soldering the half jumpring in the countersunk beds I created earlier.
The result is rather icky looking (for now), but the chain is attached. I just have to make and attach the bail to the top.
But for now, into the pickle to get rid of the gunk.
Unfortunately that is as much as I got done this weekend. I did however have a lovely weekend with family and friends and the Melbourne weather was just perfect... Hopefully I will have some completed pieces next weekend.