Sunday, June 20, 2010

The peppermint crisp journey

It was all the way back in October 2009 that I first started work on the peppermint crisp ring.

It took me a long time to decide how I wanted to make the setting. I had in my head how I wanted it to look from above, but how to achieve that...?


So I went ahead and make the ring and the first half of the setting with the V shaped base. Then I tinkered, and I filed, and I uhmed and ahhed. I put it away and worked on other pieces. Then I'd take it out, look at it, and put it away again.


Then some time a few months ago I started to formulate an idea. I decided to drill through either side of the ring shank beside the V setting and push two pieces of wire through, these would support the stone from either side. I contemplated this idea for some time.


Last weekend I started work on a new piece. I was in such a hurry to finish something, anything! I rushed ahead without fully thinking through my design and the setting collapsed while I was soldering it. It was then I decided I had thought about the peppermint crisp for long enough. It was time for action!



The peppermint crisp ring is finished! And it is available now in my Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment